Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Missed Connections...by THROB




Careful. Pay attention. 
Otherwise, you might miss it.


Telling others' business in a casual way, 
but wondering why I don't spill guts with you.


Passing judgment and being critical, 
then chalking up my secrecy to 'weirdness.'


Smiling and saying "It's fine", then finally 
erupting into rage over nothingness.


Pledging reliability and trustworthiness, 
then disappearing for weeks at a time.


Compassion and calm assurances up front, 
then blistering contempt and impatience in truth.


Tell me you want to know what's going on, 
then dismiss or ignore what is shared with you.


But all of this is merely 'in my head,' right?


This is not a game; the stakes are high.
People are not projects for you to pick-up and set-down
at your whim. Nor objects of scorn for your 
demanding expectations.


Where I assumed acceptance was duplicity,
understanding was what I interpreted from silences.
That all your confidantes are smug jerks
should have been a warning sign for me.


So much brightness and intellect within you,
it never occurred to me your obliviousness to other matters.
Where there are such dualities, trust cannot take hold.


I see now the real story; a series of misunderstandings and
missed connections; assumptions and confusions and projections
building a house of cards on a foundation of sand.


Somehow, I missed that.

No comments:

Post a Comment